The number of live humans following you on Twitter might be significantly lower than your profile’s “followers” number states. This infographic below shows that many celebrities and politicians on Twitter — often with millions of followers — typically have more than 30% fake followers.
So, what’s a fake follower? It could be a bot or someone who created a Twitter account, followed some people and is no longer active. There’s a lot of faking taking place on sites like Twitter and Facebook. Anyone can buy Twitter followers using one of the many services that promises active followers for around $1,000.
This infographic from Social Selling University shows some key figures and companies that have fake or inactive followers, plus how much companies are charging to boost Twitter followings.
A new tool called Fakers, that shows you how many of your followers are “fake,” “inactive” or “good,” has pushed this issue into the spotlight. With this tool, anyone can find out how many of their followers are legit and how many are fake.
Check out this infographic below and tell us what you think about people with fake followers. Do you see them as less influential?
- Share this:
I'm Koka Sexton. Currently working at an awesome place called LinkedIn where I am developing the social marketing process. I am also a keynote speaker talking about social marketing and social selling.
About MeJust a guy having fun with the internet. Learning ways to leverage social media to drive leads and revenue for B2B. Always looking for new ideas and engaging with other geeks.
- Complete Social Media Design Templates [infographic]
- A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- The LinkedIn Meme that Went Viral
- My Favorite Tweets of the Week.
- A LinkedIn Birthday, Great Pictures and Some Awesome Tweets of the Week
- A Busy Week of Events: #S20C #MUS13 and #LISalesConnect
- An #inDay with Sheryl Sandberg and Gina Bianchini
- A Surge of Social Selling Experts
- 10 Great Posts about #LinkedIn Company Pages
- How Does Social Media Impact #B2BSales
- Alex Hall (@devseo) on My Favorite Tweets of the Week.
- @TSBGeeks on The LinkedIn Meme that Went Viral
- Alex Hall (@devseo) on A Busy Week of Events: #S20C #MUS13 and #LISalesConnect
- Koka Sexton (@kokasexton) on The LinkedIn Meme that Went Viral
- Tony Karrer (@SocialMediaInf) on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- @Kunvert on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- Marcos Facó (@MarcosFaco) on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- Khaled El Ahmad (@DigiDirJO) on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- Koka Sexton (@kokasexton) on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- @alisammeredith on 101 things to do when you have nothing to write about