I’ve mentioned JTV before in a post called Generation YOU. Justin.tv is a site that allows anyone with a computer and a webcam to stream their life online to everyone. It’s called lifecasting and it one of the ways it became famous through iJustine or Justine Ezarik. Justin.tv has had it’s share of controversy since they oppened the floodgates to the masses but nothing like the recent news of a man committing suicide while hundreds of people watched.
A 19-year-old Florida teen’s suicide broadcast Wednesday on Justin.tv was a result of an overdose of opiates and benzodiazepine, the Broward County Medical Examiner & Trauma Services Division said Friday.
The Pembroke Pines teen was pronounced dead about 6 p.m. on Wednesday, coroner spokeswoman Sherri Baker said in a telephone interview. She said benzodiazepine is used for depression and insomnia.
About 185 people were viewing the feed on the San Francisco-based live-streaming service. The teen had announced his pending suicide on a bodybuilding.com chat forum, which linked to the broadcast. He left an online suicide note. Viewers were seen egging him on.
To Whom It May Concern,
I am going to leave this for whoever stumbles across my bookmarks later on.
I hate myself and I hate living. I think that if someone who knows me
reads this they will know who I am. So I will leave this unsigned. I am
an a@#hole. I have let everyone down and I feel as though I will never
change or never improve. I am in love with a girl and I know that I am
not good enough for her. I have come
to believe that my life has all been meaningless. I keep trying and I
keep failing. I have thought about and attempted suicide many times in
the past. I used to think of my failure as some mystical way of telling
me that I was really meant for something meaningful. The only thing I
dread, besides the pain, is the way my family will suffer. I do not want
my mother or father to think that it was anything they did that lead me
to kill myself. I never really had any plans of leaving a note. I
thought that I would not be able to describe why I want to do this and I
am right. There is no way to tell you or anyone else why I dread every
new day. My father had such high expectations for me and tried to give
me every opportunity to improve upon myself. I let him down. I think
that I am a major disappointment to him. I have a job but I?m always broke
and I am in college but barely, I show up to class but that?s about it.
I want my life to end. I am tired of f@#$ing up everything. I
am tired of people always telling me that they do not like me. I am
tired of trying to be decent. I hope that someone finds this post and I
hope that my parents know that I f@#$ed up not them. It is my fault I
screwed up my own life.
The hate that rages within me, rages not for those I love so dearly or
those who have crossed my path.
This hate rages full force towards me and only me.
I have long forgiven those who’ve hurt me, but I have not and cannot
come to terms to forgive myself for the things I have done to myself, and
the things I’ve done to hurt those in my life.
You have all touched my life in one way or another,
especially those whom I call family.
I cannot tell you how sorry I am for ending my life the way I did. I
hope that you can all find it in your heart to see it as way for me not
suffering anymore and that I am finally at rest with myself, for being at
rest with the guilt that constantly ate at me for so long.
Please forgive me all for taking my own life so early. I tried so hard
to fight against this strong battle. I have reached out for help so many
times, and yet I believe, I was turned away because of the things I did,
that it is a punishment I am willing to take, for I know that being who I am
has only brought myself and others pain.
I love you all and will forever live within the memories we created.
Love always and forever,
As for my signature I will leave you with a quote so that if anyone
reads this they will know it’s me, “Can?t feel pain if your dead? Just Saying”
As you can see just from the screenshot of the scene, people in the chat where this man was commiting suicide actually were egging him on. Some people were daring him to kill himself, others were trying to talk him out of it.
The young man apparently posted threats of killing himself to Web message boards in the past, according to numerous online reports. Because of this many of those who watched the man’s suicide were skeptical that it was a legitimate suicide attempt and began mocking him.
The chat’s moderator called the authorities, and police broke into the residence.
One needs to wonder, besides the tradgety of someone losing their life, what about the people that were actively pushing this guy to swallow a bunch of pills and slip off into death? Should these people be tracked down and investigated for a crime?
If I were the King, I would see to it that all of these people where brought up on charges for aiding and abedding. No, none of them gave this guy the pills that killed him but they did add the pressure for him to follow through.
I'm Koka Sexton. Currently working at an awesome place called LinkedIn where I am developing the social marketing process. I am also a keynote speaker talking about social marketing and social selling.
About MeJust a guy having fun with the internet. Learning ways to leverage social media to drive leads and revenue for B2B. Always looking for new ideas and engaging with other social marketers.
- The Era of Social Selling Starts Now.
- It was an Epic Social Selling SalesforceLive Broadcast
- The Evolution of Social Selling
- Should Sales Professionals Be Blogging?
- Social Selling Video Series with Joanne Black.
- Everything You Want to Know About How to Create an Amazing #LinkedIn Profile
- Speaking: @Salesforce LIVE Using social connections to turn prospects into customers.
- The House of Cards inMap Infographic
- Speaking at @insidesales IS Accelerate #ISA14
- New video: The Art of Social Selling
- Social Business (@insocialbiz) on The Era of Social Selling Starts Now.
- Social Business (@insocialbiz) on Everything You Want to Know About How to Create an Amazing #LinkedIn Profile
- B2B Sales Tips (@b2bsales) on The Era of Social Selling Starts Now.
- Social Selling News (@socialselling) on The Era of Social Selling Starts Now.
- Social Marketing (@socialhelp) on The Era of Social Selling Starts Now.
- Social Selling News (@socialselling) on Everything You Want to Know About How to Create an Amazing #LinkedIn Profile
- Inside Sales Tips (@salestools) on The Era of Social Selling Starts Now.
- Social Marketing (@socialhelp) on Everything You Want to Know About How to Create an Amazing #LinkedIn Profile
- B2B Sales Tips (@b2bsales) on Everything You Want to Know About How to Create an Amazing #LinkedIn Profile
- Inside Sales Tips (@salestools) on Everything You Want to Know About How to Create an Amazing #LinkedIn Profile