This is a collection of Tweets that came from a recent announcement from a photography site SmugMug. SmugMug sent out an email late on Friday before a 3-day weekend and their customers went to Twitter to unleash their complaints. I found this interesting because I’ve never watched one of these types of crisis unfold in realtime and to see how the initial set of customers took to social media. SmugMug responded well but as time went on, more customers got the memo and the hits kept coming from even more customers.
I’m not a customer but @meg_ is and when she told me about the email she received late on Friday I cringed. As a person working in social media I knew a storm was brewing and it only took minutes for customers to go to Twitter with their complaints.
The reasons for the price increase are not my concern, they will have to explain that to their customers. What made me pay attention was that with a large customer base that uses social media dropping this email when they did was not a smart decision.
Now the company is having to respond to unhappy customers and put out a fire that could have waited until Tuesday when they have returned from a long weekend. But, then again… what do I know?
Kudos to @smugmug and @donmacaskill for staying engaged. It sucks but its the right thing to do.
- Share this:
I'm Koka Sexton. Currently working at an awesome place called LinkedIn where I am developing the social marketing process. I am also a keynote speaker talking about social marketing and social selling.
About MeJust a guy having fun with the internet. Learning ways to leverage social media to drive leads and revenue for B2B. Always looking for new ideas and engaging with other geeks.
- Complete Social Media Design Templates [infographic]
- A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- The LinkedIn Meme that Went Viral
- My Favorite Tweets of the Week.
- A LinkedIn Birthday, Great Pictures and Some Awesome Tweets of the Week
- A Busy Week of Events: #S20C #MUS13 and #LISalesConnect
- An #inDay with Sheryl Sandberg and Gina Bianchini
- A Surge of Social Selling Experts
- 10 Great Posts about #LinkedIn Company Pages
- How Does Social Media Impact #B2BSales
- Alex Hall (@devseo) on My Favorite Tweets of the Week.
- @TSBGeeks on The LinkedIn Meme that Went Viral
- Alex Hall (@devseo) on A Busy Week of Events: #S20C #MUS13 and #LISalesConnect
- Koka Sexton (@kokasexton) on The LinkedIn Meme that Went Viral
- Tony Karrer (@SocialMediaInf) on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- @Kunvert on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- Marcos Facó (@MarcosFaco) on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- Khaled El Ahmad (@DigiDirJO) on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- Koka Sexton (@kokasexton) on A Week in Review – Happy Memorial Day
- @alisammeredith on 101 things to do when you have nothing to write about