In a move that will leave other online blogging platforms in the dust, WordPress announced that they have increased the online storage of their users from 50mb to 3,ooomb. Now that may seem like too much space for anyone to use but I know for a fact that it can be done. If WordPress starts opening up new features on top of this like video uploading, 3GB will be used quick.
As a comparison, typepad gives only 100mb for their basic users and Blogger only gives 1GB of storage. One of the major restrictions with online blogging platforms is the amount of storage space available for pictures and other media. As a blog grows over time users have to make the tough choice of what images to keep and which to do away with in order to make room for the new ones. With about 3GB of storage space WordPress is giving bloggers a very compelling reason to start using WordPress and move away from the competition.
WordPress is my blogging platform of choice. Though I host my own accounts, WordPress is by far the easiest platform to use and the customization is endless with free themes and plugins available. Moving from one blogging platform to WordPress is extremely easy since there is a native uploader that can import posts from the major competitors into a WordPress account.
|WordPress.com||WordPress.com upgrades||TypePad Basic||TypePad Plus|
|Storage||3 GB (= 3000 MB)||+ $20 for + 5 GB,…||100 MB||500 MB|
|Can store JPG, GIF||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Can store MP3, video||No||With storage upgrade||Yes||Yes|
|Bandwidth||Unlimited||2 GB/month||5 GB/month|
|Domain mapping||No||+ $10||No||Yes|
|Ads||Yes, by/for Automattic||Ad-related upgrade in the works||Yes, by/for you if you want||Yes, by/for you if you want|
|Drag and drop to customize layouts||Using sidebar widgets (only within sidebar)||No||Yes|
|Customize CSS||No||+ $15||No||No|
I'm Koka Sexton. Currently working at an awesome place called LinkedIn where I am developing the social marketing process. I am also a keynote speaker talking about social marketing and social selling.
About MeLeading the Social Selling movement by helping companies implement strategies that drive results. I've been leading social marketing and content strategies for the past several years.
- Creating a Backlog of Content Marketing Ideas
- #SocialHangout From Battlefield to Boardroom
- The Best of SocialBiz Hour #SbizHour
- Building a Social Empire
- Social Selling Education 101
- Why I Started Social Selling
- #ContentMarketing Highlights for the week.
- The New #SocialSelling Index Makes Success More Predictable
- Content Marketing Resources
- Highlights from LinkedIn’s GSK
- Alex Hall (@devseo) on #SocialHangout From Battlefield to Boardroom
- Nimble (@Nimble) on Creating a Backlog of Content Marketing Ideas
- Tony Karrer (@SocialMediaInf) on Creating a Backlog of Content Marketing Ideas
- Mindmap (@Mindmapk) on Creating a Backlog of Content Marketing Ideas
- iNavegarTechnologies (@iNavegar) on Creating a Backlog of Content Marketing Ideas
- Social Marketing (@socialhelp) on My Favorite Tweets of the Week.
- Social Sensi (@socialsensi) on Social Selling Tips on Salesforce Live
- Downey Skydoo (@DowneySkydoo) on The LinkedIn Meme that Went Viral
- Social Marketing (@socialhelp) on Social Selling Education 101
- Shirley Brainbir (@ShirleyBrainbir) on Complete Social Media Design Templates [infographic]